5 Apr 2012

Animator as Actor: acting in animation by Boyang Zhao

Nowadays, as the market share of 3D animation in film industry is getting bigger and bigger, more and more people want to get into this business and become an “animator”. Therefore, more and more skilful professional educational services have founded and start to train people as animators. However, knowing the software does not mean knowing how to animate, just like getting the characters moving does not mean making the characters lifelike. The rapid development of 3D technique is blinding animators and taking them away from the essence of animation which, in my opinion is acting.

My project is about animating a character with different personalities, to see how the personality leads the way to the most appropriate reactions and movement. I believe that any practical work should be based on a theory, so in this article, I will explore and represent a way to act as an animator.

In my opinion, for being an animator, there are three levels of successful animation which is my main focus:

1. Basic software skills;

2. Understand acting and animating theory;

3. Explore the character’s personality.

For being an actor, there are two forces which blend into each other: inner force which is motivation and outer force which is physical principle; there are also two ways to express: Body language and facial expression.

I also will sum up all the motivations and the matched actions from my observation and experiences, it would be very helpful in future.


See Rudy's blog here

No comments:

Post a Comment